Contact Support

CTC Practice Tests & Test Prep


CTC image

Exam Edge offers full-length CTC practice tests with detailed explanations to help you prepare for becoming certified to teach in California. The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) offers many qualifying exams for aspiring teachers, and CTC test prep can help you prepare for success. CTC tests will assess your knowledge and skill levels for entry into the classroom, from basic educational skills to specific subject-area mastery. A CTC practice test from Exam Edge shows you the format and content of the test, and allows you to decide how to work through the material. CTC practice tests can help future teachers get the score they need to begin their careers. Find the CTC practice test you need at Exam Edge today.

Search For Your CTC Exam:



Browse For Your CTC Exam : (Click on the Take Free Test icon to take a free test)



Click here to see all California Teaching Certification Exams



What are CTC Exams?

The state of California doesn't let just anyone educate their students. All teachers must become licensed before taking up their post in the classroom. To become licensed, one must pass qualifying exams offered by the CTC. The California Basic Educational Skills Test, or CBEST, is the exam most frequently undertaken. The California Subject Examinations for Teachers, also known as CSET, is also quite common. The CBEST measures a person's basic understanding of reading, math and writing, while the CSET examines a test taker's specific knowledge of their subject area. Given how important these tests are for the future of an aspiring teacher, CTC practice exams are highly recommended for preparation purposes.

Who should take CTC Exams?

Anyone interested in teaching in California public schools should take CTC exams. Some private schools require passing scores on CTC tests, so it behooves the future teachers of California to brush up on their knowledge and gain a passing score on the CTC exams. CTC tests are typically taken after a person completes a teaching program in California, but some career switch programs offer a more direct path to the classroom. Every school district in the Golden State requires slightly different qualifications, so be sure to check with your local school to confirm whether or not you need to take the CTC exams. Chances are, you'll need at least a few weeks of CTC exam prep before sitting for the test itself. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time to get ready.

What score do I need to pass CTC Exams?

The CBEST exam features three subtests in reading, writing and mathematics. A score of 123 across all three subtests is required to pass the overall test. This score is determined by calculating the number of correct answers on each portion of the CBEST test. Test takers can earn between 20 and 80 points per subtest that count towards the overall required score of 123.

CSET test takers must earn a score of 220 to pass the exam. This exam also features subtests, with each test's format varying based on the subject matter. Art students, for example, may be required to submit a portfolio of their work for the test. Each CSET subtest is worth between 100 and 300 points. Generally speaking, 70 percent of one's score is based on multiple choice questions asked on the test, while the remaining 30 percent is based on constructed response portion of the exam.

No matter which exam you take to get qualified for teaching in California, CTC test prep should be taken seriously. Without enough preparation, you may be required to retake the CSET or CBEST again.

How to Prepare for CTC Exams

There are a number of study strategies for the CTC exams, but the most effective form of studying for these tests is to familiarize yourself with the format and content of the CBEST and CSET. CTC exam practice tests can help aspiring teachers understand the kind of questions they'll be required to answer on the day of the actual test. Exam Edge offers a number of CTC practice tests to help you prepare. Exam Edge offers free initial practice exams, giving you a sneak peek into just how helpful our services can be.